Checklist of questions to ask yourself when reading a published paper
- What is my POV and why have I chosen to read this?
- Who funded the work and how might this present itself in any bias?
- What has been left out of the paper (by methodology)?
- What terms are important in this paper and do they fit with my definitions?
- What can I learn from this paper; how does it confirm my views or bring me new ideas?
- What similar papers are available that I’d like to follow up?
- How credible is the author/s? What might be their biases? Does this matter to me?
Reading – and believing – without thought, is a dangerous bias.