The briefings can be managers with their teams, or groups of managers - I like the idea of the Executive team holding an end-of-day briefing session.There are both advantages and disadvantages to holding one, though the only disadvantages I can see are ones about timing.
- Reflection on the day's operational activities
- Reflection on personal contribution to the day's operational activities
- Highlight priority issues
- Ensure priority issues don't fall between the management gaps
- Improved communication skills
- Improved meeting skills
- when is the end of the day for managers (though a briefing can be held at 4:45 for 15 mins)
- perception that the briefing gets in the way of other meetings
- poor briefing skills means it turns into a long meeting
It seems that much of the imperative for improvement and innovations pushes nurses to learning from managers - maybe now is the time for manager to be looking at what nurses do very well, and learn new skills of their own.