Tuesday 14 August 2012

Coaching, feedback and behavioural tools - MBTI

So what tool or method do you use for your coaching practice or other organisational and improvement work?

Over my career I've been on the receiving end of a number and also tried a variety with different clients.  I've ended up using MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) as my main method for helping others - to help themselves. My main reason is this tool is well evidenced, has been in place for decades and is used successfully in many countries. The evidence base is important for me as I believe it is necessary for healthcare to demonstrate the use of evidence-based techniques and tools.  The techniques can't be administered or debriefed unless you've been accreditated which means there is a consistent standard world-wide.

Other reasons I prefer MBTI:

  • it is more than a one-off
  • it can be scaled from individual through the team and organisation
  • it works well to support change processes
  • the evidence base, being huge, allows greater depth of understanding
  • it is common enough that it provides a "language" for staff to use in times of difficulty
Do you know of or use other behavioural techniques which have an evidence base similar to MBTI and can also be scaled up in their use?

No comments: